Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 1.02.22 PMScreen Shot 2020-05-18 at 1.02.29 PMScreen Shot 2020-05-18 at 1.02.08 PMQ. Do I need to contact the school if my child is sick or unable to attend classes?  Should I email the teacher?

A.  Yes, please call the office at 304-348-6652 to let the school know that your child is ill. In addition, please send a note the first day that your child is back in school to  Mrs. Norman.  If a child is going to be out more than three days, you may contact the school and work will be collected for the student and will be in the office for pick-up.

You may email the child’s teachers-if you wish- in order to let them know of the situation and to see if there is anything that the student can do at home.

It is imperative that an excuse be turned in within three days of the child’s return to school to Mrs. Norman.

Q.  If I need to take my child out of school for a few days (trip, family emergency, outside activities) what process should I follow?

A.  It is always best to inform the school and the child’s teachers as soon as possible in order for work to be collected, given to the child, and to answer questions if necessary.  Mrs. Norman will need to be contacted at 304-348-6652 in order to record the specific absences.

Q.  Where can I find the school menu?  

A.  Parents can find a copy of the school menu in a variety of places.  First, it is published in the Sunday newspaper.  Next, it is available on the KCS website.  Please type “menu” in the search box. Finally, please see the MENU tab on our website.  Please be aware that changes may be made at the last minute due to unforeseen circumstances.

Q.  Does my child have to pay for breakfast and lunch?

A.  No, students enrolled at John Adams will not have to pay for breakfast and lunch at this time.

Q.  How will we know which bus our child is supposed to ride?  Where is my neighborhood bus stop?  Does my child ride a different bus in the afternoon?

A.  Bus route information can be located on the KCS website.  Under the “Parents & Family” tab, look for “Transportation” located on the right hand side.  Click “Look it up” website and enter your address, grade level and hit “ok”.  If you still have questions, please call the bus garage at 304-766-0373.

Q.  What is the best way to contact my child’s teachers?

A.  Please access the email component of Schoology in order to contact your child’s teachers unless the teacher has specifically provided additional information such as Remind codes and gmail addresses.

Q.  What is “Developmental Guidance”?

A.  Developmental Guidance time is a graded class period that allows the student and the teacher to work on positive relationships inside of the classroom setting.  Activities that will be covered during this time include character education, Advisor-Advisee, Defined Stem, SPL, and peer tutoring.

Q.  Is there a mandatory reading program at JAMS?

Accelerated Reader will not be utilized this year.  In its place, English teachers will be assigning books to be read outside of class and then appropriate assessments will occur throughout the school year.  Please contact your child’s English teachers if you have specific questions regarding outside reading assignments.

Q.  If I have a question about my child’s schedule or a class, which counselor do I contact?

A.  If your child’s last name falls between A-M, contact Mrs. Frostick.

If your child’s last name falls between N-Z, contact Mrs. Thalheimer.

Q.  When does school begin?  What time does my child need to be at school?

A.  Classes begin promptly at 8:00 A.M.  Children need to be at school at this time in order to not be tardy for home base.  Breakfast begins at 7:40.

Q.  How much time is given for lunch?  

A.  Students have a 30-minute  period to eat lunch.

Q.  When is it appropriate to call the principal or assistant principals? When is it necessary to contact a school administrator?

A.  Anytime a parent or guardian has a question, please call the school and leave a message and an administrator will call you back as soon as they are back in their offices from classroom visits and duties.  Mr. Moyers and Mr. Lilley have an open-door policy, so please feel free to stop by if you have a question.  If you are unable to meet in person, please feel free to email Mr. Moyers at jmoyers@mail.kana.k12.wv.us.

Q.  What types of volunteer opportunities are available for parents? 

A.  Parents are needed to volunteer for the front desk and in the library. Please contact the school for more information.   Additionally, please feel free to attend the PTA and LSIC meetings for additional opportunities to help with special projects.

Q.  What does a “strike” mean for students?

A.  The strike system, which is utilized by some teachers, means that a student did not meet an expectation during class.  It is meant as a reward program to encourage students to make good choices.  Teachers take this opportunity to have a meaningful conversation with students regarding their choices, and a student has the opportunity to improve his or her behavior.  A student will receive three strikes before being written up for an official office referral.

Q.  Will there be Saturday School?  If so, when and at what time?  Is it free?

A.  Saturday School will be held from 9:00 A.M. to 11:00 A.M.  Parents must be on time to pick up their child.  It is free of charge for all John Adams students who are in need of one-on-one tutoring with National Junior Beta students or the opportunity to make up missing assignments that the classroom teacher is willing to receive as late work.  Please check our website for specific dates.

Q.  How is bullying dealt with at JAMS?

A.  Bullying is never acceptable; however, teachers and administrators need to be aware of the situation. Please contact the administrators and/or the child’s teachers to make them aware of the situation.  Bullying rarely occurs in classrooms or around adults.  Students who feel they are being bullied need to talk to a trusted adult immediately.

Q.  Does the school follow any allergy guidelines, or restrict certain foods at lunchtime?

A.  According to Lisa Hartney, school nurse, the WVDE prohibits outside food and energy drinks to be consumed during the school day.

Q.  What time is school dismissed?  In what order do student leave?

A.  At 3:08, the students who are walkers and car riders are dismissed to meet their parents.  If a student is walking without a parent, that child will be dismissed at 3:15 to help ensure his or her safety.  The buses will depart from the school at approximately 3:25, but depending on traffic and other circumstances beyond our control, that time may vary.